[CIG-SHORT] Hi,question about the Pylith.

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 13:33:37 PST 2008

Hi Faqi,

I'm not quite sure what you need, but it's possible you're only using
the top-level help rather than the help specific to different
components and properties.  For example, if you go to examples/3d/
hex8, you can do the following:

> pylith dislocation.cfg --problem.interfaces.fault.help-properties
> /Users/willic3/geoframe/export/debug/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> pythia-0.8.1.7-py2.5.egg/pyre/inventory/odb/Curator.py:200:
> UserWarning: Module pkg_resources was already imported from /Users/
> willic3/geoframe/export/debug/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> merlin-1.5.egg/pkg_resources.pyc, but /Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg is being added to sys.path
>   from merlin import resource_listdir, resource_isdir,
> resource_exists, resource_filename, Requirement
> properties of 'faultcohesivekin':
>     fault_mesh_filename=<str>: Filename for fault mesh UCD file.
>         default value: 'fault.inp'
>         current value: 'fault.inp', from {default}
>     help=<bool>: prints a screen that describes my traits
>         default value: False
>         current value: False, from {default}
>     help-components=<bool>: prints a screen that describes my
> subcomponents
>         default value: False
>         current value: False, from {default}
>     help-persistence=<bool>: prints a screen that describes my
> persistent store
>         default value: False
>         current value: False, from {default}
>     help-properties=<bool>: prints a screen that describes my
> properties
>         default value: False
>         current value: True, from {command line}
>     id=<int>: Fault identifier (must be unique across all faults and
> materials).
>         default value: 100
>         current value: 100, from {default}
>     label=<str>: Name of fault.
>         default value: ''
>         current value: '10', from {file='dislocation.cfg', line=71,
> column=-1}
>     normal_dir=<list>: General preferred direction for fault normal
> (used to pick which of two possible normal directions for interface;
> only applies to fault surfaces in a 3-D domain).
>         default value: [1, 0, 0]
>         current value: [1, 0, 0], from {default}
>         validator: <function validateDir at 0x212a970>
>     up_dir=<list>: Up-dip or up direction (perpendicular to along-
> strike and not collinear with fault normal; only applies to fault
> surface in a 3-D domain).
>         default value: [0, 0, 1]
>         current value: [0, 0, 1], from {default}
>         validator: <function validateDir at 0x212a970>
>     use_fault_mesh=<bool>: If true, use fault mesh to define fault;
> otherwise, use group of vertices to define fault.
>         default value: False
>         current value: False, from {default}

You can also look at the components for interfaces.fault:

> pylith dislocation.cfg --problem.interfaces.fault.help-components
> /Users/willic3/geoframe/export/debug/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> pythia-0.8.1.7-py2.5.egg/pyre/inventory/odb/Curator.py:200:
> UserWarning: Module pkg_resources was already imported from /Users/
> willic3/geoframe/export/debug/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> merlin-1.5.egg/pkg_resources.pyc, but /Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg is being added to sys.path
>   from merlin import resource_listdir, resource_isdir,
> resource_exists, resource_filename, Requirement
> facilities of 'faultcohesivekin':
>     eq_srcs=<component name>: Kinematic earthquake sources
> information.
>         current value: 'singlerupture', from {default}
>         configurable as: singlerupture, eq_srcs
>     mat_db=<component name>: Spatial database for bulk material
> properties (used in improving conditioning of Jacobian matrix).
>         current value: 'simpledb', from {default}
>         configurable as: simpledb, mat_db
>     output=<component name>: Output manager associated with fault
> data.
>         current value: 'outputfaultkin', from {default}
>         configurable as: outputfaultkin, output
>     quadrature=<component name>: Quadrature object for numerical
> integration.
>         current value: 'quadrature2din3d', from {imported} via
> {file='dislocation.cfg', line=72, column=-1}
>         configurable as: quadrature2din3d, quadrature

This is the most basic way of looking at the various components and
properties.  You can start at the top-level (--help-components, --help-
properties), and then work your way down to what you're looking for.
I'm not sure if this answers your question or not.  Let us know if you
need more explanations.

Charles

On Dec 7, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Faqi Diao wrote:

> Dear Ms./Mr.,
>  I am a postgraduate student in P. R. China and mainly major in
> Geophysics. Recently, I downloaded the software Pylith and want to
> do some numarical modeling about the earthquake rupture. I got the
> manual and read it carefully, however, there still something  not
> easy to understand. So I send the mail to ask your help.
>
> 1) How to get the properties of each settable facilities(components),
>    I can get some of that by "help", but the some components such
>    as "interfaces" have no settable properties in "help".
> 2) If you can supply more material about the relationship of a
> component
>    and its sub-components,such as the property inherition.
>
>  My question perhaps seems primary beacuse I just begin my studying.
> Please give me more suggestion about the use of the software.
>  Thank your for your kindly help. Waiting for your reply.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Faqi Diao

Charles A. Williams
Scientist