[CIG-SHORT] Convergence

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 00:05:31 PST 2008

Hi Tabrez,

I would look at the element quality in the mesh.  You can do this in
ParaView.  The low angles may be giving you poorly-formed elements,
and this could cause problems.  I doubt that incorrect fault
parameters is causing the problem, unless you're doing something
that's giving you very large strains.

Charles

On Dec 10, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Tabrez Ali wrote:

> Brad/PyLith Users
>
> It seems that whenever I use a low angle thrust fault (very low dip)
> the
> solution (to the quasi-static problem) after a certain number of time
> steps fails to converge and blows up. Can wrong fault parameters
> such as
> up_dir or normal_dir also cause this?
>
> Regards
> Tabrez