[CIG-SHORT] Convergence

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Dec 10 08:23:15 PST 2008

Tabrez-

Does the solution blow up (residual increases) or just fail to converge
(residual approaches some value)? If the solution blows up, something is
wrong. Either the problem is not setup correctly or there is a bug.

There are a number of things that can cause the solution to converge very
slowly. In addition to the mesh quality issue that Charles pointed out, some
other things you might look into include:

(1) Do you get the same behavior with a coarser mesh?

(2) Does the solution converge when you omit the fault in the parameters
(i.e., use the same mesh but don't have any fault interface conditions)? If
you have zero displacement BC, try simple compression without a fault.

(3) What is Poisson's ratio? Do any cells have a Poisson ratio greater than
0.45 (only values greater than about 0.48 should cause problems)?

(4) What physical properties are you using for the fault (this affects the
conditioning of the system and can affect convergence if they are not
reasonable)? In a test problem, the solution converged slightly faster for
uniform physical properties for the fault (only used to condition the system)
compared with the actual 3-D variation.

Brad