[CIG-SHORT] Convergence

Tabrez Ali stali at purdue.edu
Wed Dec 10 08:49:27 PST 2008

Brad/Charles

Thanks for your reply. Yes the residuals do increase after each time
step. I have a low dipping fault which curves from very shallow dip to
somewhat steeper dip (as in shallow subduction).

If I specify slip on the steeper part then things work fine. Things also
work fine when I dont specify slip on this particular fault but have
other faults/BC's in place (on the same mesh).

Its slip on the shallow part which seems to mess it up.

Also my mesh quality isnt that bad. I do have a few elements with aspect
ratios of 50+ (in cubit) but nothing greater than 100. And my material
property for the fault is the same as used in the examples/benchmarks.

Regards
Tabrez

Brad Aagaard wrote:
> Tabrez-
>
> Does the solution blow up (residual increases) or just fail to converge
> (residual approaches some value)? If the solution blows up, something is
> wrong. Either the problem is not setup correctly or there is a bug.
>
> There are a number of things that can cause the solution to converge very
> slowly. In addition to the mesh quality issue that Charles pointed out, some
> other things you might look into include:
>
> (1) Do you get the same behavior with a coarser mesh?
>
> (2) Does the solution converge when you omit the fault in the parameters
> (i.e., use the same mesh but don't have any fault interface conditions)? If
> you have zero displacement BC, try simple compression without a fault.
>
> (3) What is Poisson's ratio? Do any cells have a Poisson ratio greater than
> 0.45 (only values greater than about 0.48 should cause problems)?
>
> (4) What physical properties are you using for the fault (this affects the
> conditioning of the system and can affect convergence if they are not
> reasonable)? In a test problem, the solution converged slightly faster for
> uniform physical properties for the fault (only used to condition the system)
> compared with the actual 3-D variation.
>
> Brad
>

> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 12:05:31 am Charles Williams wrote:
>
>> I would look at the element quality in the mesh.  You can do this in
>> ParaView.  The low angles may be giving you poorly-formed elements,
>> and this could cause problems.  I doubt that incorrect fault
>> parameters is causing the problem, unless you're doing something
>> that's giving you very large strains.
>>
>> Charles
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Tabrez Ali wrote:
>>
>>> Brad/PyLith Users
>>>
>>> It seems that whenever I use a low angle thrust fault (very low dip)
>>> the
>>> solution (to the quasi-static problem) after a certain number of time
>>> steps fails to converge and blows up. Can wrong fault parameters
>>> such as
>>> up_dir or normal_dir also cause this?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Tabrez