[CIG-SHORT] building PyLith development version on a Fedora system

Jiangning Lu jlu at chandler.mit.edu
Tue Feb 19 10:37:43 PST 2008

Thanks for the instructions!

To use 'yum install', do I have to become a root to do so? I think so. I don't
have access to root.   Can I install them in my $HOME instead of by
default and
not as a root?  Like we install by hand by setting --prefix=$HOME..?

If it has to be a root, I'll ask administrator to do.

Thanks!!
Jiangning

Quoting Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov>:

> Remove any Python, numpy, and cppunit, proj, Pyrex, and netcdf stuff
> you built
> by hand and switch to the Fedora packages. Use yum to install the packages:
>
> yum install python python-devel numpy cppunit cppunit-devel proj proj-devel
> proj-nad Pyrex netcdf netcdf-devel
>
> Note: You need the python-devel and cppunit-devel packages to get the header
> files for those packages. This is what I meant by the development packages.
>
> After installing these packages, then reconfigure and rebuild petsc, nemesis,
> pyrexembed (CIG version), FIAT, pythia, spatialdata, and then PyLith.
>
> Remember to configure spatialdata and pylith with --with-testing. To run the
> unit tests, do a "make check" after "make install".
>
> Brad

---
Jiangning Lü
54-521     x3-6389