[CIG-SHORT] Velocity BCs in PyLith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed May 14 09:26:55 PDT 2008

Tabrez-

Dirichlet boundary conditions (displacement and velocity boundary conditions)
are explained in section 6.2 of the PyLith manual. The equation in section
6.2, u(t) = u0 + (t - tref) v0, defines the displacements as a function of
time. The default values for tref and v0 are 0 seconds and 0 m/s,
respectively.

The default database for Dirichlet BCs is FixedDOFDB. This hardwires the
boundary condition values to zero (zero displacements for the Dirichlet db or
zero velocities for the Dirichlet rate_db). If you want nonzero values, you
must change the spatial database being used. Unfortunately, in the current
implementation there is no error message if you try setting the values for
the FixedDOFDB; it just ignores them. If you want uniform values, use the
spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB spatial database. You can also specify a
spatialdata.spatialdb.SimpleDB spatial database.

For example,

[pylithapp.timedependent.bc.x_pos]
rate_db = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB
rate_db.values = [dof-0,dof-1,dof-2]
rate_db.data = [1.0,2.0,3.0]

BUGFIX: There was indeed a bug in setting the reference time. The reference
time from the input was not transferred to the boundary condition. Since
there is an obvious workaround for this bug (simply adjust the displacements
and rates to use a reference time of 0.0), we will not make a special bugfix
release to resolve this issue. This bug has been fixed in the development
version so the fix will be included in the next release.

Brad