[CIG-SHORT] Might CIG Support Fast Multipole Method in Future?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 19 04:37:18 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Terry Tullis <terry_tullis at brown.edu> wrote:
> Dear CIG Short Community,
>
> This is to suggest the possibility that CIG might be persuaded to undertake
> an effort in the future to develop a well-documented, user-friendly Fast
> Multipole Method library. Such a library would be suitable for use by anyone
> having problems that can be treated via Green's functions. In the field of
> earthquake mechanics these arise in using the boundary element method, but
> there may be several other applications in geophysics that might make such a
> library useful for the CIG community. The advantage of the Fast Multipole
> Method is that the compute time, and in some problems the memory
> requirements, goes as N log N where N is the number of elements being
> treated, whereas without using this technique they go as N squared.
>
> I have attached a Word doc that discusses this more fully for those who wish
> to learn more.

I am also very interested in this approach. I have developed a preliminary, open
source component of PETSc that uses FMM (not BEM yet) to solve vortex problems
in fluids. It is designed to be extensible to other kernels, layouts,
etc. I attach the
extended abstract which appeared at Parallel CFD this week. I will be
in Golden as
well if you want to discuss it.

  Thanks,

     Matt