[CIG-SHORT] Might CIG Support Fast Multipole Method in Future?

Thorsten Becker twb at usc.edu
Mon May 19 09:27:54 PDT 2008

Dear Terry,

I think this project is an interesting idea and would be very useful to
the boundary element (BEM), fault modeling community.

BEM approaches (including fast multipole approximations) are also being
proposed/used now in the mantle circulation community, where, e.g., a
geometrically complex slab may be embedded in a homogeneous mantle (work
by Gabriele Morra & Co).

While the advantages of BEM for, e.g., idealized fault interaction
models compared to finite elements are clear, in my opinion the jury on
how useful BEMs are for mantle flow is still out.

I wonder if this may be too specialized and long-term project for CIG
right now that CIG-I is running out?

Cheers

Thorsten