[CIG-SHORT] VTK data files

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon May 19 09:08:55 PDT 2008

On Monday 19 May 2008, Tabrez Ali wrote:
> The number of cohesive cells are not the same in the two runs.

In the statement above, if it unclear if the faults are the same and you are
getting different numbers of cohesive cells (this would be a bug), or the
faults are different and you are getting different numbers of cohesive cells
(this is to be expected).

If the faults are not the same, then the meshes will not be the same (topology
of the mesh is different because there are different cohesive cells), and the
output files will not have the same number of vertices. They should have the
same number of cells.

> Also the number of cells do match in disp_surf_t*vtk files. I dont have
> data over the entire domain but for the material blocks where I have
> data, there there is a mismatch in the number of points but again not in
> the number of cells.

If you have different faults, then the output for the ground surface and
materials will have the same number of cells but different numbers of points.

If you want compatible meshes (vertices/cells) for two runs where one run does
not have slip on a fault, then you should run both simulations with the same
faults. Simply set the slip to zero for the case where you don't want slip.