[CIG-SHORT] Updated PyLith development priorities

Eric Andreas Hetland eah at gps.caltech.edu
Thu May 22 07:38:15 PDT 2008

Thank you Brad, the graphical layout is very nice to see the
sequence/dependencies. Two minor questions:

1) in the flowchart, "improved PC for kinematic fault condition" leads to
wave propagation, but in the description it seems that it is needed for
fault friction models.

2) restart files is indicated as "Difficult" & "computer science (new
feature)", while adaptive time stepping is "Easy" & "Geophysics (new
feature)". This seems backward to me, for instance, I know Geofest has both
features, but the adaptive time stepping is not really that robust. Are
there standard algorithms for adaptive time stepping (including non-linear
rheologies) out there? On the other hand, the restart files work extremely
well in geofest (also commercial codes I have used), so I thought this was a
solved problem. When I was at MIT, there was a rule against running any
program on the cluster that did not support checkpointing.

- Eric.