[CIG-SHORT] Updated PyLith development priorities

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu May 22 07:44:23 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Eric Andreas Hetland
<eah at gps.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Thank you Brad, the graphical layout is very nice to see the
> sequence/dependencies. Two minor questions:
>
> 1) in the flowchart, "improved PC for kinematic fault condition" leads to
> wave propagation, but in the description it seems that it is needed for
> fault friction models.

We know we need it for wave problems, but only conjecture we need it for
fault friction. Perhaps it should be a dotted arrow.

> 2) restart files is indicated as "Difficult" & "computer science (new
> feature)", while adaptive time stepping is "Easy" & "Geophysics (new
> feature)". This seems backward to me, for instance, I know Geofest has both
> features, but the adaptive time stepping is not really that robust. Are
> there standard algorithms for adaptive time stepping (including non-linear
> rheologies) out there? On the other hand, the restart files work extremely
> well in geofest (also commercial codes I have used), so I thought this was a
> solved problem. When I was at MIT, there was a rule against running any
> program on the cluster that did not support checkpointing.

This is a problem of exactly what is meant by a short phrase in a box. "Adaptive
time stepping" means give the user the ability to easily change the timestep. It
does not mean, prove that this method is stable and efficient for the problem at
hand. "Checkpointing" means figure out all the information in PyLith necessary
to restart. Writing it out is pretty trivial (and CS) but knowing what
to write out is
harder (and Geo).

   Matt

> - Eric.
>

> On 5/21/08 9:58 PM, "Brad Aagaard" <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:
>
>> Per Mark Simons's suggestion, I created a diagram of features to be
>> added to PyLith in the next year or so that includes their dependencies.
>> I have also estimated a timeline for releases along with the features
>> for each release. I have adjusted the priorities and features in the
>> release based on community feedback. The diagram with accompanying
>> description and explanation is posted at
>> http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/workinggroups/short/workarea/planning/prioritie
>> s2008/pylith/
>>
>> Additional comments are welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,