[CIG-SHORT] Three questions about pylith

Tabrez Ali stali at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 16 09:25:22 PDT 2008

> I created a mesh file "strikeslip_hex8_1000m.exo" from files of
> createbc.jou,
> geometry.jou, and mesh_hex8_1000m.jou. Next, I typed "pylith
> strikeslip_cubit.cfg strikeslip_hex8_1000m.cfg" (The cfgfile
> timedep.cfg
> was not included in this case for simplicity). Of course, I placed the
> following files in the same directory:
>
> fixeddisp_analytic_xneg.spatialdb
> fixeddisp_analytic_xpos.spatialdb
> fixeddisp_analytic_ypos.spatialdb
> fixeddisp_analytic_zneg.spatialdb
> fixeddisp_zero.spatialdb
> mat_elastic.spatialdb
> mat_maxwell.spatialdb
> slip_tapered.spatialdb
> slip_uniform.spatialdb
> sliptime_uniform.spatialdb
>
> Finally, I had the following error.
>
> RuntimeError: Error occurred while reading spatial database file ''.
> Could not open spatial database file '' for reading.

I dont seem get this error if I run "pylith strikeslip_cubit.cfg
strikeslip_hex8_1000m.cfg"
Did you unzip all the *.gz files?

> 3)Animations created by paraview
>  Paraview does not always read output files from Pylith in order of
> time.
> Consequently, the resulting animation file does not reproduce
> appropriate temporal changes of the numerical solution. Do you have
> any
> idea to deal with this problem?

I think Paraview likes filenames such as:
file_01.vtk
file_02.vtk
file_03.vtk
... etc.

So you can write a small shell script to fix the filenames or simply
use an appropriate value for the "writer.time_constant" (see p.45 in
the manual). For example
writer.time_constant = 31557600000000.0*s

Tabrez