[CIG-SHORT] Pylith dies after thousands of time steps

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 30 07:37:03 PDT 2009

Tabrez-

The KSP residual indicates that this is not a convergence issue (I guessed
wrong). Is there anything going on in the BC, fault interfaces, etc that
might be perturbing the residual/solution in this time step where it fails
compared to any other time step.

One possible explanation is that one processor is throwing an exception that
is not caught, resulting in termination of the process on one processor and
not the other. I think it would be very instructive to run the job on a
single processor to see if the process dies at the same time step and if
there is a more verbose error message. It may take a while to run but it may
save you and us a lot of run-around and speculative searching.

Brad