[CIG-SHORT] Cubit tet mesh not being read into pylith

Oliver Boyd olboyd at usgs.gov
Thu Oct 22 12:51:50 PDT 2009

I wanted to locally refine around the fault and was having trouble doing
this in Cubit with hexes and a paving scheme. I didn't have trouble with
tets, hence the initial post with tets. Now, with Steve's help, I've settled
on using a mapping scheme and am able to locally refine hexes without a
problem. Hence the current posts with hexes.

The mesh looks fine in Cubit and Paraview, but my limited skill with both of
these programs is keeping me from a thorough analysis.

On 10/22/09 1:56 PM, "Brad Aagaard" <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:

> Oliver-
>
> Another potential source for getting this error is that there is an
> error in the topology of the mesh.  My guess is that locally refining
> the mesh is introducing inconsistencies in the topology of the mesh.
> Does the refined mesh look okay in ParaView (it can read Exodus files)?
> Also use the quality filters available in ParaView to try to find any
> topology issues.
>
> The response above applies to both tet and hex meshes, but it is not
> clear whether you are using a tet mesh or a hex mesh. Your lastest
> message refers to a hex mesh but your earlier email refers to a tet mesh.
>
> Brad
>

> Oliver Boyd wrote:
>> As you suggest (hopefully), I removed all references to faults in
>> dislocation.cfg. The error disappears. But I only have one fault, and I
>> don't quite understand how the fault is the problem. I am now doing this
>> with hex meshes. The problem appears when I start to locally refine the
>> mesh. And the local refinement can be far from the fault. How is refinement
>> far from the fault affecting the fault?
>>

>> On 10/21/09 5:31 PM, "Brad Aagaard" <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Oliver-
>>>
>>> This error is related to creating cohesive cells. First, try reading the
>>> mesh without any faults (this error should disappear). Then try with one
>>> fault. If you have multiple faults, try to isolate which fault is
>>> causing the error. The restrictions are: (1) no vertex can be on more
>>> than one fault and (2) more than one of a cell's faces cannot be on a fault.
>>>
>>> Brad

/Users/buildbot/install/x86_darwin_single_nosched_binbot/lib/python2.3/site>>>>
-