[CIG-SHORT] general mesh optimization

Rebecca Bendick bendick at mso.umt.edu
Wed Jan 20 12:54:07 PST 2010

Hi, there.  I've successfully run all the 3d examples provided in the
PyLith distribution, and I'm on to building my own problems, but
without success.  I took the advice offered in the <embedded fault>
thread and, rather than use a complicated input from LaGRIT, tried to
modify the mesh from the tet4 example for a thrust problem.  I can
build meshes that look fine, but they don't seem to meet the
requirements of PyLith.  I've gotten a few different errors,
especially ALE:Exception and the one below.  Is there some way to
force LaGRIT or whatever mesher is being used to output a mesh that
will work in PyLith?  Or, is there a thrust-fault example that I could
use as a template to prevent geometry problems?

Thanks,
Becks

screen dump:

  File "/Users/buildbot/install/powerpc_darwin_single_nosched_binbot/
lib/python2.3/site-packages/pylith/feassemble/feassemble.py", line
416, in initialize
RuntimeError: Determinant of Jacobian (2.08321e-08) for cell 74 is
smaller than minimum permissible value (1e-06)!

/Users/rbk/pylith/pylith-1.4.2-darwin-powerpc/bin/nemesis: mpirun:
exit 1
/Users/rbk/pylith/pylith-1.4.2-darwin-powerpc/bin/pylith: /Users/rbk/
pylith/pylith-1.4.2-darwin-powerpc/bin/nemesis: exit 1