[CIG-SHORT] general mesh optimization

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Jan 20 13:22:27 PST 2010

Rebecca-

Creating a good quality finite-element mesh for elastodynamics problems
and complex geometry is still one of the big challenges in doing these
types of problems. Both LaGriT and CUBIT are sophisticated, complex,
general mesh generators, so there are many ways to create a mesh for any
given problem. As a result, there is no way to "force" either of these
mesh generators to output a mesh that works with PyLith.

Understanding the examples and slowly adding complexity is the method we
recommend for progressing towards realistic problems. I would start by
changing the tet4 example, which uses a strike-slip fault, to more
closely match your geometry (while keeping the fault vertical). Run a
simulation without any fault interface and then add slip on the fault
interface. Once you are satisfied that both of these cases are working
properly, then try changing the dip of the fault. Again, run without the
fault and then add slip on the fault.

As for an exmaple with a dipping fault, the benchmark problem located in
the CIG SVN repository at
http://geodynamics.org/svn/cig/short/3D/PyLith/benchmarks/trunk/quasistatic/reversenog
contains a reverse fault. The LaGriT scripts are in the meshes
directory. You need to have subversion to check something out from the
repository (I have attached the LaGriT scripts for the 1 km resolution
mesh). To generate the mesh run "lagrit < mesh_tet4_1000m.lagrit".

Some additional tips:

* Always do a quality check before trying to use a mesh and do not run a
simulation until the element quality is within a reasonable range (see
my previous email).

* Examine the mesh before running a simulation using any of the various
tools that can display the meshes from LaGriT. These can be a huge help
in identifying the regions that have poor quality cells.

Brad