[CIG-SHORT] Inconsistency Between Linear and Powerlaw Viscoelastic Gravitational Forces

Jeffrey Thompson jeffremt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 13:58:21 PDT 2010

Dear CIG Developers,

I've been running into difficulties with the magnitude of gravitational
stresses using a PowerLaw3D rheology.  As a consistency check, I ran two
models with the same material parameters, using a MaxwellIsotropic3D
rheology first and a PowerLaw3D rheology (with n=1) second.  I obtained
wildly different values of stress within the two model runs, with the
magnitudes of stresses varying by about 10 orders of magnitude.  I've
attached a tarball with my model parameters for both cases, and was
wondering if you could take a look at this problem.

I'm currently running PyLith 1.5.1 using the tarballed version available off
of the CIG website (i.e. not an svn version).

Thanks,
Jeffrey Thompson
Seismolab
California Institute of Technology