[CIG-SHORT] Inconsistency Between Linear and Powerlaw Viscoelastic Gravitational Forces

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Oct 12 18:18:08 PDT 2010

Jeff-

Can you explain more specifically what differences you see in the
stresses? Please specify if this occurs for the elastic solution (first
time step) or at latter time steps. Is the displacement field the same
but only the stress fields are different? Are the strains different or
just the stresses?

When I use the pylith trunk, I get identical deformation (displacements,
strains, and stresses) for the elastic solution, but then the
deformation (all fields) seem to differ between the two problems.

Another issue to keep in mind is that the physical properties as well as
the initial state variables must be equivalent for the deformation to be
the same.

Charles- Is there anything tricky about differences in the state
variables between the MaxwellIsotropic3D model and the PowerLaw3D model
that could be responsible for this issue.

Brad