[CIG-SHORT] Inconsistency Between Linear and Powerlaw Viscoelastic Gravitational Forces

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:02:35 PDT 2010

There are definitely significant differences between how the two rheologies are done.  You would need to look in the manual to see how to correlate the two.  The power-law rheology is controlled by reference stress and reference strain rate values, rather than a viscosity coefficient.  You can use the utility code powerlaw_gendb.py to convert the A-value for power-law to these values, but you will still need to watch out for factors of 2 and sqrt(3.0).

Charles

p.s.  i'm at a workshop right now and don't have time to put together an example, but I may try to do that after the workshop.

On 13/10/2010, at 2:18 PM, Brad Aagaard wrote:

> Jeff-
>
> Can you explain more specifically what differences you see in the
> stresses? Please specify if this occurs for the elastic solution (first
> time step) or at latter time steps. Is the displacement field the same
> but only the stress fields are different? Are the strains different or
> just the stresses?
>
> When I use the pylith trunk, I get identical deformation (displacements,
> strains, and stresses) for the elastic solution, but then the
> deformation (all fields) seem to differ between the two problems.
>
> Another issue to keep in mind is that the physical properties as well as
> the initial state variables must be equivalent for the deformation to be
> the same.
>
> Charles- Is there anything tricky about differences in the state
> variables between the MaxwellIsotropic3D model and the PowerLaw3D model
> that could be responsible for this issue.
>
> Brad
>

> On 10/12/2010 01:58 PM, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
>> Dear CIG Developers,
>>
>> I've been running into difficulties with the magnitude of gravitational
>> stresses using a PowerLaw3D rheology.  As a consistency check, I ran two
>> models with the same material parameters, using a MaxwellIsotropic3D
>> rheology first and a PowerLaw3D rheology (with n=1) second.  I obtained
>> wildly different values of stress within the two model runs, with the
>> magnitudes of stresses varying by about 10 orders of magnitude.  I've
>> attached a tarball with my model parameters for both cases, and was
>> wondering if you could take a look at this problem.
>>
>> I'm currently running PyLith 1.5.1 using the tarballed version available off
>> of the CIG website (i.e. not an svn version).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeffrey Thompson
>> Seismolab
>> California Institute of Technology