[CIG-SHORT] Fault friction nonlinear model convergence issue

Niz niz.moussatat at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 12:10:03 PDT 2010

I am only guessing here, but if the displacement induced by your simulation
is of the order of 200m on the fault, model of cohesive cell would fail as
you use a smaller grid of 500m. I don't think that the Implicit.LgDeform in
Pylith is useful.

I am having convergence issues with Pylith-Cohesive cell against a
Node-2-Segment contact algorithm.

Regards.Niz

2010/10/17 Birendra jha <bjha7333 at yahoo.com>

> Dear Brad,
>
> I am having trouble using the fault friction model (similar to tutorial
> step12.cfg). The nonlinear solver does not converge as I increase no. of
> cells. I have attached both the cases- one that converges and the other one
> that does not. The only difference between them is in the cell size.
> nx=ny=7, dx=1000 for the case that converges and nx=ny=14, dx=500 that does
> not. I am using LaGrit (which is freely available).
>
> Can you help me identify the issue here? 14x14 cannot be too large a grid.
> I did try reducing dt from 5 yr (that works for case that converges) to 0.2
> yr, with no help.
>
> Thanks & regards
> Birendra

Nizar MOUSSATAT