[CIG-SHORT] Fault friction nonlinear model convergence issue

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Sun Oct 17 13:27:41 PDT 2010

On 10/17/10 12:10 PM, Niz wrote:
> I am only guessing here, but if the displacement induced by your
> simulation is of the order of 200m on the fault, model of cohesive cell
> would fail as you use a smaller grid of 500m. I don't think that the
> Implicit.LgDeform in Pylith is useful.

As long as you are using the infinitesimal strain formulation, the
amount of deformation does not affect the rate of convergence.
Additionally, the cohesive cell formulation assumes the slip direction
is independent of the amount of slip even in the small strain
formulation. In other words, the slip direction is relative to the
original, undeformed configuration.