[CIG-SHORT] Help with installing PyLith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Sep 22 07:18:28 PDT 2010

On 09/21/2010 09:57 PM, Birendra Jha wrote:
> I am trying to install Pylith for my work and have few questions. My goal is to
> extend/modify the equations for physical processes that pylith models, e.g.
> include effect of fluid flow on faulting, earthquake, include viscoplasticity
> etc. (Are any of these part of current/future pylith releases?)

We have tentative plans to add a Drucker-Prager viscoelastoplastic bulk
rheology (stress state relaxes back to yield surface) and are
considering options for adding fluid flow. Adding new bulk rheologies is
relatively straightforward, see the user guide and source code
(templates/materials) for an example. We would certainly welcome help in
getting such a rheology added to the code. Adding fluid flow coupled
with elasticity will require a thorough knowledge of the code and
collaboration with the PyLith developers because it involves adding
additional degrees of freedom and integration points for the pressure term.

> My question is: what/how do I need to install Pylith on my PC (Windows XP 32bit)
> so that I can modify the code, build and compile it?

To extend the functionality of PyLith via a new bulk rheology, you
should be able to use the binary. The caveat is that you must use
compilers compatible with the ones used to build the binary. You can see
what these are by simply running nemesis included in the PyLith binary.

> I am reading the Pylith manual 1.5.0. I couldn't understand the difference
> between "3.3 Installation from source" and "3.4 Installing from software
> repository" due to my lack of knowledge about open source software. In
> confusion,

Installation from source uses a tarball provided on the CIG website.
Installation from the repository extracts the source code directly from
the repository. We only create tarballs for releases while the
development version of the code is only available from the repository.

> 1. I downloaded Tortoise subversion and then checked out pylith code from
> repository
> 2. also downloaded and unzipped pylith-1.5.1.tgz
> 3. also installed from binary pylith-1.5.0-win-i686.exe. I ran few tutorial
> tests and it is working fine. Just curious: when is pylith-1.5.1-win-i686.exe
> coming out?

We are still having trouble with the buildbots as they transition from
being hosted at Caltech to being hosted at UCDavis. We will have new
binaries as soon as the buildbots are working again.

> I know I am a bit confused on how exactly to start. I think the installation
> instructions in Sec 3.3 in pylith manual are relevant for me. Is that correct?

In additional to the manual, see doc/install in the source code for
additional detailed instructions.