[CIG-SHORT] problems about the Kelvin model

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 28 10:13:11 PDT 2011

FengLi-

It appears that you are trying to create a Kelvin-Voigt model
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin-Voigt_material), a spring in
parallel with a damper. In a Kelvin-Voigt model

   Strain = Strain_spring = Strain_damper
   Stress = Stress_spring + Stress_damper

This leads to

   Stress = 2*mu*Strain + 2*viscosity*Strain_rate

where mu is the shear modulus. The strain time history for a constant
step in stress, Stress0 is

   Strain(t) = Stress0/(2*mu) * (1.0 - exp(t/tm))

where tm is the Maxwell time, tm = viscosity/mu.

In the generalized Maxwell implementation in PyLith, the Maxwell time
for Maxwell element i is tm_i = viscosity_i/(mu*muFrac_i). We formulate
it this way because muFrac_i corresponds to the fraction of the total
elastic response associated with the viscosity of the Maxwell element.

If you set muFrac=0 for all of the Maxwell elements, then the Maxwell
time is infinite and you end up with a purely elastic response. You need
to adjust the muFrac parameter for one of the Maxwell elements to give
you the Maxwell time that you want. Another way to think of this is that
is the fraction of the shear modulus that decreases to 0 as time
approaches infinity at a rate corresponding to the viscosity.

Brad