[CIG-SHORT] FYI: Defmod - FE code for modeling crustal deformation

Tabrez Ali stali at geology.wisc.edu
Sun Aug 28 18:24:13 PDT 2011

Good evening

Sorry for spamming the CIG list but I wanted to announce the release of
Defmod, a small parallel finite element code for modeling short term
crustal deformation that I have been working on and using for some of my
own work. It might also be of interest to some of you here.

Defmod can be used to model static, quasi-static and dynamic processes
such as co-seismic slip, volcanic rifting, post-seismic viscous
relaxation, post-glacial rebound etc. It is being released under GPL v3
so you are free to use, modify and share the code. The code is available at

http://code.google.com/p/defmod/

Currently elastic and viscoelastic rheologies are supported. Absorbing
BCs are not yet implemented but will be added soon.

At present there is no formal documentation but a few example input
files are available at the above website. The code is very simple and
small (only ~1200 lines of Fortran 95) so for most part it should be
easy to understand and modify.

For more information please see
https://defmod.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/presentation.pdf

Regards