[CIG-SHORT] pylith info

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 25 10:30:44 PDT 2011

Luigi-

You can perform the calculation in one simulation as long as you can
setup your boundary conditions for the two calculations simultaneously.
If you have zero displacement boundary conditions during your
gravitational calculation and start with zero displacement on the
boundaries in your quasi-static problem, them you can combine them into
one calculation. If you want to start with nonzero displacements on the
boundaries in your quasi-static problem, them you would need to separate
the problem into two simulations.

Right now, we have not setup PyLith to easily use the output from one
simulation as an initial condition or input in another simulation. This
is something we plan to do in the next year. The current workaround is
to create a spatial database from the output of the first simulation to
use as input in the second simulation.

If the strain is concentrated near the boundary, make sure the solution
is converging. In your .cfg file, use

[pylithapp.petsc]
ksp_monitor = true
ksp_view = true
ksp_converged_reason = true

and look at the stdout to see whether the solver reports that the
solution converged or diverged.

See examples/3d/hex8/pylithapp.cfg for an example. You may need to
increase the maximum number of iterations (ksp_max_it).

Brad