[CIG-SHORT] Fault junctions

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 09:59:08 PST 2011

Hi Ali,

Unfortunately, at present PyLith does not support fault junctions.  If I recall correctly, a volume cell is not allowed to have vertices on more than one fault.  This means that faults can come very close to each other, but can't touch.  One method for dealing with the deformation in the regions between faults is to assign elastoplastic or viscoelastic properties to those cells.

On 27/11/2011, at 9:54 AM, ali Ozbakir wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am planning to start using PyLith. Prior to migrating to the PyLith, I was wondering
> if PyLith supports fault junctions. Does any special treatment is needed, or just a correct
> mesh topology suffices to proceed with computations?
>
> Regards,
> Ali

Charles A. Williams
Scientist