[CIG-SHORT] Normal Force and shear force on an inclined plane

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Oct 24 09:02:19 PDT 2011

Qian,

In PyLith the shear and normal tractions on a fault are available via
the output. Most other finite-element codes that model faults also
include this feature. These tractions are calculated using the fault
implementation, not from calculating the stresses within the volume
elements. Alternatively, you can calculate the stress tensor on the face
of a volume element and use the face normal to get a traction. However,
in lower order finite-elements the stresses are not continuous across
element boundaries (the displacement field is continuous but the strains
and stresses are not).

In most studies that I am aware of the Mohr-Coulomb criterion is applied
locally using the shear and normal tractions. This accounts for
potential spatial variation of the tractions due to loading,
heterogeneous material properties, etc that cause failure on a subset of
the fault.