[CIG-SHORT] Pylith install eror

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 5 12:06:31 PDT 2012

On 04/05/2012 11:04 AM, Birendra jha wrote:
> If we install pylith using the pylith installer, can we still count
> on GNU autotools to run? I see that my changes in Makefile.am does
> not get transferred to Makefile.in. Editing Makefile.in manually
> works fine but is errorprone.

If I edit Makefile.am in the source tree for the tarball (pylith-1.6.3),
then my Makefile in pylith-build is regenerated. Can you describe in
more detail what you are doing and what doesn't work?

> Earlier when we installed without the installer, I think we ran
> autoreconf which started the autotools? not sure.

This just generates the configure script from configure.ac. The PyLith
source tarball already includes the configure script so running
autoreconf is not needed. If you build from svn, then the pylith
installer runs autoreconf to generate the configure script from
configure.ac.

> Another question: What do we have to do for swig to run automatically
> whenever a new module is being created with its py, i, cc, hh files?
> Although I configured pylith install with enable-swig, I didn't get
> swig to generate new problems_wrap.cxx and problems.py in
> modulesrc/problems. Running swig manually does it but it is
> errorprone. This thing also used to happen when we installed from the
> svn. How can I enable this now?

The PyLith source tarball includes the swig .i and _wrap C++ files, so
SWIG is ignored. SWIG will only be used if you build from the svn
repository. I verified that if I touch a .i file in the source
directory, then this triggers SWIG to run and the module is rebuilt.

If you are creating custom Python modules in modulesrc, then you should
use the SVN repository. The current stable version is in
branches/v1.6-stable