[CIG-SHORT] Repeating ruptures

Romain Jolivet rjolivet at caltech.edu
Fri Apr 6 16:21:49 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm a new pylith user. I started working on subductions with Mark Simons two months ago, and I'm now trying to set up an earthquake cycle model.

My problem, for now, is very simple: I have a dipping fault embedded in a 2D elastic homogeneous medium. The deeper part of the dislocation creeps at 4 cm/yr, while the upper part does rupture every 100 years. I managed to do it over a few hundred years: following the pylith manual, I create an array containing each rupture in the cfg file:

bc = [creep,one,two,three,four]

Then, I just copy the conditions for each rupture. However, as my ruptures happen every 100 years, and are all the same, is it possible to specify it in a more clever way (with a TIME HISTORY spatialdb file, for instance)?

Thank you very much,

Romain

Romain Jolivet
Postdoctoral Scholar
Geological and Planetary Sciences
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
rjolivet at caltech.edu
+1 (626) 560 6356