[CIG-SHORT] Rate and state friction

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Apr 9 14:29:14 PDT 2012

On 04/09/2012 01:11 PM, Hongfeng Yang wrote:
> The current development plan says that rate and rate friction needs to
> be updated to read in prescribed stress conditions in order to run SCEC
> dynamic benchmark problems. I wonder when this is going to happen? In
> addition, is there a way to read in output results from interseismic
> simulations and to run dynamic rupture problems?

The current development plan mentions adding a Nucleation object with a
spatial and temporal perturbation of tractions from the initial value.
This type of variation is required for the SCEC dynamic rupture
benchmarks that use rate- and state-friction. This is listed as a likely
feature for version 1.8 that has a target release date of Fall or Winter
2012.

You can create a spatial database of initial tractions from the final
fault tractions of a quasi-static simulation. This involves creating the
header and writing out the values from the output file. This is most
easily done with HDF5 output.