[CIG-SHORT] Kinematic faults vs dynamic faults and fault opening

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Apr 23 14:02:26 PDT 2012

Brad,

A more complete explanation of the fault opening condition and zero
tractions is summarized mathematically by:

   T_n * u_n = 0

T_n = normal traction
u_n = normal displacement

If T_n <= 0, then u_n = 0 and if u_n > 0, then T_n = 0. Also note that
if u_n = 0, we set T_f = 0 even if the cohesion is nonzero because
contact is lost.

Brad

Brad Hager pointed out that we also impose the condition