[CIG-SHORT] traction_perturbation

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Aug 10 08:20:33 PDT 2012

Huihui,

step13.cfg is a quasi-static problem with velocity boundary conditions
and slip at multiple time steps. In your description of shear stress
changes, what time steps are you referring to? As I change the normal
traction from -10*MPa (negative is compressive) to -20*MPa the
time-dependent behavior changes. For -10*MPa there are multiple slip
events while for -20*MPa there is only one small slip event. The
difference in behavior arises due to the greater shear loading (and
deformation) required to generate slip with a compressive stress of
-20*MPa and the free surface boundary conditions on the +y and -y faces.
With the frictional interface, this is a nonlinear problem so the values
don't simply scale.