[CIG-SHORT] 3 velocity BC

BOK10 at pitt.edu BOK10 at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 14 12:41:19 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have 3 velocity boundary conditions: 1 fixed in the north, 1 moving
-20mm/yr in the middle (running through the center of a block), and 1
moving -24 mm/yr in the south. I also have 2 faults: 1 between the north
and middle, and 1 between the middle and south. The faults separate the 3
blocks I have.

I'm able to run the code in PyLith fine with no errors; however, when I
look at the stress in paraview, I notice that the middle block - where the
middle velocity BC is - has an inconsistency. I've attached an image to
highlight the problem.

Is there anyway to have the solutions calculated across the middle
boundary and to only use the middle boundary to define a velocity in the
center of the model?

Any help you can provide in this would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby Karimi
PhD Candidate
University of Pittsburgh
Dept. of Geology and Planetary Science