[CIG-SHORT] Pylith Install Error

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 22 09:13:42 PDT 2012

Niz,

I think I have narrowed down the problem. pythia requires setuptools.
The setuptools in ubuntu 11.11 (0.6.c9) is old enough that pythia
recognizes that it needs a newer version and downloads a compatible
version (0.6.c11). In ubuntu 12.04, the version number of setuptools
provided is much newer (0.6.24 with compatibility for 0.6.c9) but it is
not compatible. If you uninstall the python-setuptools package, you
should be able to install pythia because it will install version 0.6.c11
which is known to be compatible when it can't find a system version.

There are multiple forks of setuptools, so dealing with the various
versions, etc is pretty messy.

Please let us know if this workaround is successful.