[CIG-SHORT] FINAL CALL: CIG Short-Term Crustal Dynamics priorities 2012-2017

Hongfeng Yang hyang at whoi.edu
Mon Mar 12 11:18:32 PDT 2012

My preferred points of Pylith development:

1. Code development

  * Multiphysics.
     1. Incompressible elasticity via a pressure field expert
     2. Elasticity + heat flow expert
     3. Elasticity + fluid flow expert
  * Earthquake cycle modeling
     1. Same mesh for dynamic and quasi-static parts difficult
         1. Dynamic -> quasi-static
         2. Quasi-static -> dynamic
         3. Complete cycle
     2. Different meshes for dynamic and quasi-static parts expert

2. Training
* Extended visits by computational scientists and software engineers to
expert users and earth science developers and vice versa. This could be
implemented via some form of travel grants for in-depth training.

* Short workshops at larger scientific meetings to expand the user base

I would also prefer a short training workshop regarding on specific
issues, e.g., how to overcome the difficulties to run Pylith on a large
cluster. Topics should include what is typically hard to debug/solve via
email.

Hongfeng Yang

On 03/12/2012 12:35 PM, Brad Aagaard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today is the final day to voice your opinions on working group
> priorities for this year's strategic plan.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad
>

> On 03/08/2012 02:01 PM, Brad Aagaard wrote:
>> I encourage you to voice your opinions about what priorities might be
>> important for facilitating YOUR research over the next 5 years. How
>> would you rank the priorities listed? Are there additional items we
>> should add? If so, how should they be ranked with respect to the ones
>> already listed?
>>
>> ***Please respond by Mon Mar 12.***
>>
>> A general description of the working group activities and goals are
>> posted at
>> http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/short/workarea/planning/priorities2012
>>

>> and PyLith development plans are posted at (you can also follow the link
>> on the page listed above)
>> http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/short/workarea/planning/priorities2012/pylith
>>

>> The preferred method of response is to post your comments on these
>> pages. You can also send email to the cig-short at geodynamics.org email list.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Brad Aagaard

Postdoc Investigator