[CIG-SHORT] No output

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 16:05:30 PDT 2012

As further input, when I ran Birendra's problem on my Linux machine, I didn't get any output either, except for output_info.vtk and output_t0000000.vtk, even though I had created the output directory.  Also, on my Mac the linear solution converged in 134 iterations, while on the Linux machine there was an initial residual of 0 (no iterations).  I'm attaching the pylithinfo output using test.cfg (run on my Linux machine).  I'm not sure what the problem might be at present.

Charles

On 14/03/2012, at 11:47 AM, Brad Aagaard wrote:

> Birenda,
>
> I was able to run your test.cfg file after creating the output directory
> (as Charles noted), but initializing the integrators is taking a rather
> long time. Your spatial databases that describe the variation in
> physical properties are quite large. For every quadrature point in every
> cell PyLith has to find which points to use for the interpolation. Using
> a cloud of points with a much finer spacing than the size of the cell
> will cause PyLith to run much slower than necessary.
>
> The solution did converge, but when I looked at your mesh I see some
> cells that have very poor aspect ratios so the solution may not be very
> accurate. See the PyLith Wiki
> (http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/short/workarea/pylith-wiki/index_html)
> for hints on checking the aspect ratio. Using tetehedral cells will give
> you much greater flexibility in varying the discretization size while
> keeping the aspect ratio of cells close to 1. See examples/2d/subduction
> for an example of using the bias scheme.
>
> Regards,
> Brad
>

> On 03/13/2012 03:08 PM, Birendra jha wrote:
>> Dear developers,
>>
>> I am trying to run a simple case like Step16 in the tutorial except
>> that density now varies with depth. I set the initial geostatic
>> stress from this density profile. I expect to see a zero
>> displacement. I have attached the files as zipped.
>>
>> Why I am not getting any output (It must be some small mistake on my
>> part. Just can't figure it out)?
>>
>> Thanks and regards Birendra

Charles A. Williams
Scientist