[CIG-SHORT] No output

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Mar 13 18:14:21 PDT 2012

Birendra,

As I said in my last email, I think you will zero in on what is causing
the displacements if you compare the computed stresses against your
initial stresses as well as the solution. If you get upward
displacements, then you have overcompensated for gravity in setting your
initial stresses. If you get downward displacements, then your initial
stresses are too small.

Brad

On 03/13/2012 06:08 PM, Birendra jha wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> You are right. Actually, at the command line I was just typing
> "pylith test". I don't know when my mind got convinced that I don't
> need to specify file extension :). I didn't get any error, but of
> course, didn't get any output either, except output_info.vtk,
> output_t0000000.vtk. Sorry about that. It is interesting how this
> "bug" was reproduced by Charles through a typo.
>
> I am still trying to figure out why the displacements are not close
> to 0. I used the same density profile for material density in
> den_mono.spatialdb and for the initial stress in
> initial_stress_mono.spatialdb
>
> Is it related to the mismatch in resolution issue? I will try with a
> coarser density/stress profile.
>
> Thanks Birendra
>
> --- On Wed, 3/14/12, Brad Aagaard<baagaard at usgs.gov>  wrote:
>
>> From: Brad Aagaard<baagaard at usgs.gov> Subject: Re: [CIG-SHORT] No
>> output To: "Charles Williams"<C.Williams at gns.cri.nz> Cc: "Birendra
>> jha"<bjha7333 at yahoo.com>, cig-short at geodynamics.org Date:
>> Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 5:30 AM Birendra,
>>
>> Running your files worked with pylith-stable built from source as
>> well as the v1.6.3 x86_64 and i686 binaries on my linux machine. I
>> suspect that you had a typo in specifying test.cfg on the command
>> line like Charles did.
>>
>> Regards, Brad
>>

>> On 03/13/2012 04:43 PM, Charles Williams wrote:
>>> Hi Birendra,
>>>
>>> Initially, I thought I had the same problem you did
>> when running on my Linux machine.  I think discovered that I had
>> misspelled the name of the .cfg file (I typed test.cft rather than
>> test.cfg).  Once I did it correctly, everything seemed to work
>> correctly on the Linux machine as well.  I'm not sure if this could
>> be your problem or not.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Charles

>> solution and state
>> vertical motion). You
>> using the solution. If
>> be zero.

>> directory in the zip file. But I have that on my computer so that's
>> not the issue.
>> spatialdb files. Yes, it doesn't make sense to have 1 m resolution
>> in spatialdb files when the grid cels are 100s of m. I may not be
>> able to change to a tetrahedral grid but I'll try.

>> minutes. Are you able to see the vtk files in output folder? Are
>> the displacements zero?

>> density (just 1 line in density spatialdb and 2 lines in initial
>> stress spatialdb) and get the desired result of zero displacement.
>> Now I just want to see it with depth varying density. As you can
>> probably imagine, I have density file for each of the 33 regions. I
>> have their respective initial stress files too.

> [...]
for hints on checking the aspect ratio.