[CIG-SHORT] mesh smoothing in CUBIT

Hongfeng Yang hyang at whoi.edu
Mon Mar 26 12:26:23 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I try to run a dynamic rupture simulation on a 3d realistic mesh. Pylith
is terminated due to the following error:
mpinemesis: feassemble/CellGeometry.cc:252: static void
pylith::feassemble::CellGeometry::_orient2D(pylith::double_array*, const
pylith::double_array&, double, const pylith::double_array&): Assertion
`mag > 0.0' failed.

Based on the above message, I think there are bad quality cell elements
in the mesh. Then I try to use smooth function in CUBIT to further
improve the mesh quality. However, the smoothing function can not
proceed due to the following:

Smoothing Halted because Minimum Attained, alpha=0.000000
  Condition Number smoothing criterion not satisfied:
Maximum condition number (2.744220) is not
  less than or equal to criterion beta (1.700000)

Initial mesh minimizes untangle objective function.
No untangling needed.
Initial minimum scaled jacobian = 0.121869
Initial maximum condition number (3.367455) is
  greater than criterion beta (1.700000)
Proceeding with condition number smoothing.

Can anyone help at this point?

Thanks,

Hongfeng

--