[CIG-SHORT] Grid processing error

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Mar 20 08:29:38 PDT 2012

Birendra,

The error you encountered is related to setting a Neumann (traction)
boundary condition on a surface with a normal parallel to the z-axis.
The default parameters allow PyLith to uniquely calculate the two shear
directions and normal direction at each location provided the normal is
not parallel to the z-axis. If the normal is parallel to the z-axis,
then the up_dir parameter for the BC needs to be set to something other
than the default (0, 0, 1). See examples/3d/hex8/step18 for an example
and section 6.2.2.1 of the PyLith manual.