[CIG-SHORT] static friction and cohesion on fault (2D)

BOK10 at pitt.edu BOK10 at pitt.edu
Mon Nov 12 17:28:29 PST 2012

So the fault isn't straight, it has a bend in it. I expect a portion of it
to display fault opening based on its orientation relative to the
direction of block motion, but the rest of the fault is oriented in such a
way that there should be zero slip until the friction is overcome. I just
ran the problem with a friction of 1 to see if that part of the fault
locked, and it does, which is a good sign. I'm going to play around with
it a bit more at various cohesion values and see what happens.

In regards to your earlier email, I ran the simulation with a prescribed
slip of zero and the deformation does make sense, so I'm thinking the
setup is okay.

Bobby