[CIG-SHORT] 2D Axis-Symmetric Volcanic Model

Scott Henderson sth54 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 13 11:51:18 PST 2012

Hello,

If I am using Pylith to model a central spherical pressure source in a cube the set-up has lots of symmetry (e.g. Mogi model). I know that I can use mirror plane symmetry to run the calculation on a quarter of the full 3D cube (section 8.2.1 in the manual). But is there a way to incorporate an 'axis of symmetry' boundary condition in Pylith. I know commercial packages typically have this to reduce solid of rotation problems to 2D, but from what I understand the implementation is not as simple as assigning traction and displacement boundary conditions along the axis.

-Scott