[CIG-SHORT] 2D Axis-Symmetric Volcanic Model

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 12:46:20 PST 2012

Scott,

If you're asking if we have an axisymmetric formulation, the answer is no.  Thus far, we haven't had a huge demand for this.  The primary motivation would be volcanic problems where you have an idealized symmetric volcano (or a real volcano that is very symmetric).  To introduce an axisymmetric formulation we would need to write a bunch of new code (similar to what we've done for plane strain/plane stress).  There is a radius term in the axisymmetric formulation that complicates things.  I guess that if enough people were interested in this we would consider it, but for now I would just see what you can do reducing your domain to a quarter.

Charles

On 14/11/2012, at 8:51 AM, Scott Henderson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If I am using Pylith to model a central spherical pressure source in a cube the set-up has lots of symmetry (e.g. Mogi model). I know that I can use mirror plane symmetry to run the calculation on a quarter of the full 3D cube (section 8.2.1 in the manual). But is there a way to incorporate an 'axis of symmetry' boundary condition in Pylith. I know commercial packages typically have this to reduce solid of rotation problems to 2D, but from what I understand the implementation is not as simple as assigning traction and displacement boundary conditions along the axis.
>
> -Scott

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science