[CIG-SHORT] 2D Axis-Symmetric Volcanic Model

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:50:38 PST 2012

Hi Scott,

Sorry about that.  You also have to keep in mind that both the source and the structure (topography plus geologic structure) must be axisymmetric to use something like this.  That means no tilted ellipsoids, etc., for magma chambers.  I think this really limits the utility of axisymmetric models.  If you find a number of cases that would lend themselves to this formulation, we'll think about it.

On 14/11/2012, at 10:15 AM, Scott Henderson wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> That is what I feared. It would certainly be a great feature for volcanic studies! So you can count at least one vote for a future addition ;)
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
>

> On Nov 13, 2012, at 3:46 PM, Charles Williams <willic3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Scott,
>>
>> If you're asking if we have an axisymmetric formulation, the answer is no.  Thus far, we haven't had a huge demand for this.  The primary motivation would be volcanic problems where you have an idealized symmetric volcano (or a real volcano that is very symmetric).  To introduce an axisymmetric formulation we would need to write a bunch of new code (similar to what we've done for plane strain/plane stress).  There is a radius term in the axisymmetric formulation that complicates things.  I guess that if enough people were interested in this we would consider it, but for now I would just see what you can do reducing your domain to a quarter.
>>
>> Charles
>>

>> On 14/11/2012, at 8:51 AM, Scott Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> If I am using Pylith to model a central spherical pressure source in a cube the set-up has lots of symmetry (e.g. Mogi model). I know that I can use mirror plane symmetry to run the calculation on a quarter of the full 3D cube (section 8.2.1 in the manual). But is there a way to incorporate an 'axis of symmetry' boundary condition in Pylith. I know commercial packages typically have this to reduce solid of rotation problems to 2D, but from what I understand the implementation is not as simple as assigning traction and displacement boundary conditions along the axis.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>
>> Charles A. Williams
>> Scientist
>> GNS Science