[CIG-SHORT] Insert fault in a grid using cubit

Birendra jha bjha7333 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 16:15:09 PST 2012

Dear developers/users

I have a hexahedral 3D grid in CUBIT and I want to insert a planar fault in the grid. Please see the attached pictures. The grid is not generated inside the cubit but is imported from a Abaqus *.inp file (nodesets, element sets). I don't have the surfaces used in generating the original grid but I have element sets for each layer. After faulting, I want to preserve the gridding as much as possible because it reflects some structure.

How do I do that? I created a planar fault surface with 3 nodes. I tried webcut and meshcut but it's difficult to preserve the structure without a surface that can constrain gridding.

Is it possible to create a surface from an element set (a cubit group entity with hex elements in it)? Is it possible to click and select vertices on the grid, then create surface from it?

Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks
Birendra