[CIG-SHORT] VTK Stress Output

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Nov 19 08:26:27 PST 2012

Bobby,

I verified that there is no difference in VTK output for the stresses in
2-D between v1.7 and v1.8. We do list the stress tensor as a vector in
the VTK file because we provide three components; ParaView interprets
the components as x (stress_xx), y (stress_yy), and z (stress_xy).

When using HDF5/Xdmf output we explicitly split the components into
stress_xx, stress_yy, and stress_xy in the Xdmf file. In the HDF5 file
we have the three components in the same dataset.