[CIG-SHORT] open_free_surface

Birendra jha bjha7333 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 14:05:48 PST 2012

Dear developers,

I am slightly confused by the open_free_surface parameter. I thought this is supposed to allow fault-opening even if the normal traction on the fault is non-zero. But in FaultCohesiveDyn.cc we have:

 if (slipNormal < _zeroTolerance || !_openFreeSurf) {
      // if no opening or flag indicates to still impose initial
      // tractions when fault is open.

Should it be "_openFreeSurf" instead of "!_openFreeSurf"?
Also, the default value for this parameter is "true" (in the constructor), correct?

Thanks
Birendra