[CIG-SHORT] open_free_surface

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Nov 19 14:13:27 PST 2012

Birendra,

The open_free_surface parameter controls whether the traction
perturbation is applied when the fault opens. For a surface with sliding
friction, we would expect zero tractions (a free surface) when the fault
opens, so that any initial tractions should not be applied. However,
when simulating something like a dike where the initial tractions
represent fluid pressures that cause fault opening, then we want the
initial tractions to continue to be applied when the fault opens.

The default value is true, because in most cases we are simulating
sliding friction.