[CIG-SHORT] Dynamic faulting under gravity

Birendra jha bjha7333 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 24 20:53:25 PST 2012

Hi all

I removed gravity (and initial stress), improved the aspect ratio of my grid (condition number is much better now), still the nonlinear solver is not converging (linear solver converges in <50 iterations). SNES Function Norm decreases for first 2 iterations then increases (from 2.8E-02 to 3.08E-02 in 4 iterations).

I have the attached the 3 files necessary to run the problem.

Problem description: a slanted fault in a box domain. Dynamic fault. Static friction model with 0 cohesion.
Boundary condition: roller boundary on -x, +y, -y. Dirichlet displacement on +x of -1 cm to apply compression on the fault.

Please help!

Thanks and regards
Birendra