[CIG-SHORT] How does Pylith number vertices on fault

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Oct 4 08:27:58 PDT 2012

Hongfeng,

The v_fault in the error message refers to the internal Sieve label for
a vertex on the fault. It does not directly correspond to the numbering
of vertices in the mesh or fault in the output or the input mesh. For
example, Sieve does not numbering vertices differently from cells. In
fact, it labels cells first and then labels vertices. This should be
transparent to the user except in diagnosing error messages that expose
the Sieve labels.

The error message you are getting suggests the solver tolerances are not
setup properly. You are getting a very small opening and small
compressive normal traction, which means the linear solver tolerance was
not tight enough or the friction zero tolerance was not large enough.