[CIG-SHORT] How does Pylith number vertices on fault

Hongfeng Yang hyang at whoi.edu
Thu Oct 4 09:03:42 PDT 2012

Thanks, Brad. Then that goes to my previous question: how should I
locate the vertex on the fault using the v_fault label?

When I track the slip and stress on different points on the fault, I
found the normal slip was indeed very large and the normal stress was
decreased drastically to 0, as shown in the attached figure,
tettrack.png. I've tried different stress drop and friction parameters
which all lead to very large normal slip and small normal traction using
a tetrahedron mesh.

However, when I changed the mesh scheme from tetrahedron to hexahedra
for the same fault geometry, I can see a rupture initiated and
propagated on the fault. Tracking stress and slip history at one point
on the fault would show reasonable stress change and slip.

Varying the tolerance would make pylith run a longer simulation, but the
results are not going to change based on my previous experience.

This intrigues me to think of the mesh quality. But after a number of
unsuccessful experiment in CUBIT of playing around different grid size
and smoothing schemes, I want to verify which element on the fault is
indeed cracking every time. If I can manually fixed it, I would expect
to see a correct simulation or a different point that stops the run.

Thanks,

Hongfeng